This is a residential town but you can still find several shopping areas nearby. Here are some of the best. For more information click the links below or Shopping Centers Map.
- Metro Center Market Shopping Center Hillsdale / Shell
The largest neighborhood shopping center in town with a Safeway & CVS Pharmacy. The Corner Bakery, TPumps, Five Guys Burgers and ABC Seafood are the most popular restaurants.
- Costco Shell / Metro City Blvd
A smallish Costco but the biggest retail destination in town. Bulk sales and electronics warranties are usually good. Meat quality at Costco’s Supermarket is excellent. However, the best deal in town is a very decent all-beef hot dog & bottomless soda combo for $1.50 at their snack bar; no inflation here since the price has remained the same since 1985.
- 1000 Metro Center Metro Center Blvd / Shell
This little center, just across the street from Costco, consists of snack food chain stores. E.g., Starbucks, Jamba Juice, Freebirds World Burritos and Noahs Bagels.
- Fast Food Chain Stores Foster City Blvd / Triton Dr
This is where the major fast food chains are located, just off Hwy 92. They include Taco Bell, McDonalds, IHOP, Pizza Hut and Carls Jr. Penelope’s Coffee and Sandwich Monkey are also nearby.
- Marina Plaza Shopping Center, Norfolk / Hillsdale at Hwy 101
- Marina Asian Food Market anchors the most popular ethnic shopping center in town. Restaurants include Taqueria De Amigos, Sheng Kee Bakery, Boba Tea, Pho Little Saigon, and even a very old Denny’s.
- Marlin Cove Shopping Center, Foster City Blvd/Marlin Ave
Another Asian supermarket anchor and smaller stores such as UPS and Starbucks.
- Edgewater Places Shopping Center, Edgewater / Beach Park
This center has a boat docking facility and waterside board walk. Lucky Supermarket is the anchor. Restaurants include Waterfront Pizza, Chevy’s Mexican Restaurant. The popular Gold Medal Martial Arts, owned by the 1992 Olympic gold medalist in Tae Kwon Do, is also located here.
- Charter Square Shopping Center Shell / Beach Park
A variety of smaller shops with no anchor. They do have some good restaurants … check out the little weekend breakfast place we love called Chow Down and Tokie’s Japanese Restaurant & Sushi.
- Saturday Farmer’s Market Shell / Beach Park in the Charter Square Shopping Center
Every Saturday morning, 9am – 1pm year round. Small, pleasant, uncrowded.
Nearby in San Mateo (click links below or shopping map)
- Bridgepointe Shopping Center, Right across Highway 92,
It has several major anchors such as Target, Home Depot, Staceys and Old Navy. Restaurants include BJ’s Brewhouse, Mimi’s Cafe and Red Robin.
- Park Place Shopping Center, Saratoga Dr / Park Place, San Mateo
This is another higher-end neighborhood center across Highway 101. It’s the newest, nicest one nearby. Whole Foods Market here has high quality food, baked goods and deli but is also known as “whole paycheck” because the cost of a bag of groceries can eat up your whole paycheck. Restaurants here include Peets Coffee, Habit Burger Grill, and Pasta Pomodora.
- Hillsdale Shopping Mall Hillsdale / El Camino
This is a regional center with over 130 stores & restaurants. Take Hillsdale Blvd for about 1 mile west of Foster City. Majors are Macys, Nordstroms and Sears. Other stores include Banana Republic, Trader Joes and Barnes & Noble. Restaurants include The Cheesecake Factory, California Pizza Kitchen, TGIFs and Outback Steakhouse.