The Beautiful Lagoon
full of things to do
Foster City’s crown jewel is its beautiful Lagoon with extensive water ways, walk ways, and other recreational facilities. There are 16.5 miles of navigable canals weaving around man-made residential islands, over 212 acres of water averaging 6 feet deep. The area looks like an expensive resort complete with nice views in all directions, fine weather, and plenty to do!
Below are some of the best things to do at the Lagoon. See the lagoon map for exact locations.
- A nice boardwalk and paved trails for walking and biking along the beautiful waterways. More serious athletes can also walk and bike for miles along the San Francisco Bay Trail just a few blocks away.
- This is one of the best places in the world to learn how to wind surf, yet is only 30 minutes from San Francisco. Weather and water conditions are often just perfect for beginners. California Windsurfing has excellent lessons and rental equipment at fair prices.
- Paddle boards, kayaks, hydrobikes and paddle boats are also available for smaller children or those not into wind surfing. You can even rent an electric boat for the whole family (up to 8 people).
- There are many special events at the Lagoon each year. The most famous is the Fourth of July celebration with a day-long festival ending with the best fireworks display on the Peninsula. Others include the Dragon Boat Races in big 44 foot canoes that seat 20 paddlers and 5000-meter Rowing Regattas with up to 360 crews competing in one day.
- There are many other free outdoor festivals during the year. E.g., the Polynesian Festival complete with free outrigger canoe rides in May and the Arts & Wine Festival and the Dragon Boat Festival in June.
- Along the shoreline is a amphitheater used during festivals and for events such as the Summer Concert Series featuring free live music Friday evenings.
- A fenced dog park is just off the lagoon in Boat Park. We drop in with our dogs while walking along the shoreline.
- This is a good place for family picnics with plenty of nice grass and few crowds. Just across the street is MetroCenter Shopping Center with a local Safeway & CVS Pharmacy for anything you have forgotten.
- In the Lagoon you can also
– swim (Swimming is safe … the beautiful blue water is dyed to keep seaweed from over growing. I’ve swum the widest portion several times though few others try), sunbathe (there are a few sandy beaches and plenty of nice grass),
– fish (it contains halibut and large numbers of bait fish though we’ve never seen anything caught except by birds … a fishing license is required),
– boat (there are two boat ramps but gas & diesel-powered boats are not allowed), and
– birdwatch (many ducks & gooney birds, etc, all year and much more during migration seasons).
- Foster City Recreation Center features a wide variety of classes and recreational programs. Of course the Rec Center has tennis courts, a basketball court and even a skateboard park.
Those are just a few of the best things to do at the Foster City Lagoon. You and your kids will definitely enjoy this convenient recreation gem!