Rowing Foster City Lagoon
Head of the Lagoon, Foster City 2014
Two of the biggest rowing events in Northern California are held in Foster City each November. These events will have hundreds of crews competing in them and both are sanctioned by USRowing, the organization which selects the U.S. Olympic team rowers.
- The Head of The Lagoon Foster City Regatta (also known as hotLFC), Sat-Sun, 11/8/14-11/9/14, at the central Foster City Lagoon.
- The BAIC Fall Rowing Regatta, Sun, 11/16/14, at the San Mateo Marina Lagoon which borders Foster City on the west.
While rowers will greatly enjoy both, for spectators the Foster City Lagoon is the better venue. Freeway access is easy and parking is more available. Spectators can also easily get to the contestants and walk among them. Parking and access are more challenging at the San Mateo Marina Lagoon though The Fall Regatta still attracts plenty of both viewers and rowers.
The Head of the Lagoon Foster City Regatta 2014
- Saturday Date: 11/8/14, 9 am-12 pm. Collegiate and Open racing only on Saturday. The number of entries each day will be limited to a 250 boat maximum. See detailed schedule.
- Sunday Date: 11/9/14, 9 am-12:45 pm. Junior and Masters racing with some Open crews as well. See detailed schedule.
- Location: The beautiful Foster City Central Lagoon. Most of the contestants with their shells will be found getting ready on the lawns on either side of the Foster City Recreation Center.
- Parking: Free spectator parking is available a block away at 1065 E. Hillsdale Blvd, Foster City (BofA/Century Plaza Bldg). See more about parking here.
- Course: This is a 5-km timed trial competition (called a head race). The gently curving course is protected from wind and has no currents so perfect conditions are expected. See course map. There are plenty of places all along the long course to watch the races and to picnic.
- Competitors: The number of entries will be limited to a 250 boat maximum each day. As of 10/31/14 there are already 417 boat entries from 37 clubs. Collegiate and Open crews compete on Saturday and a few Open crews on Sunday as well. Juniors and Masters may only compete in Sunday’s races (i.e., not in Saturday’s races).
- Sponsors: Sponsored by Stanford Rowing Center & the Peninsula Aquatic Center Junior Crew. Sanctioned by USRowing, the organization which selects the US Olympic teams.
- More Race Details
- Sunday Date: 11/16/14, 8:30 am- 3 pm. See detailed schedule.
- Location: The Parkside Aquatic Park is the center of activity. It provides competitors access to the San Mateo Marina Lagoon, which borders Foster City on the west parallel to Highway 101, where the races will be run.
- Parking & Directions: There is NO parking in Parkside Aquatic Park for anything except boat trailers. On-street parking is also very limited. Volunteers will direct visitors to a few more lots but expect challenges with parking. Also consider watching from the Foster City side of the Marina Lagoon. Check the Regatta Course map above and Google Maps for ways to get Levee Pedway, Harbortown Pedway and other sidewalks paralleling the Marina lagoon.
- Course: This is a 5-km timed trial competition (called a head race). The course is one of the most crooked around, changing directions 90 degrees or more 10 times from beginning to end, which makes for a good rowing challenge.
- Competitors: There are usually about 600 men and women from ages 15 to 70 competing in 170 boats in 65 races.
- Sponsors: The Bair Island Aquatic Center. This is race marks the end of the USRowing fall racing season in California.
- More Race Details and Website.
- Foster City Special Events Parking near the Central Lagoon
- Foster City Best Things To Do and Maps
- San Mateo Best Things To Do and Map
- Foster City Swimming Beaches and Beaches Map
- Best Foster City Parks and Map
- Top of page or Home page