Rowing Foster City Lagoon
Head of the Lagoon, Foster City 2019
Two of the best rowing events in Northern California are held near Foster City each November.
While rowers will greatly enjoy both, for spectators the Head of The Lagoon Regatta at Foster City Lagoon is the better venue. Freeway access is easy and parking is more readily available. Spectators can see more of the race and easily get to the contestants and walk among them. Serious rowing enthusiasts will also enjoy the smaller more informal Corkscrew Regatta event.
The Head of the Lagoon Foster City Regatta 2019
- Saturday Date: 11/9/19, 9 am-12:35 pm. Collegiate and Masters racing only on Saturday. The number of entries each day will be limited to a 250 boat maximum. See detailed schedule.
- Sunday Date: 11/10/19, 9 am-1:15 pm. Junior racing with some Open crews as well. See detailed schedule.
- Location: The beautiful Foster City Central Lagoon. Most of the contestants with their shells will be found getting ready on the lawns on either side of the Foster City Recreation Center.
- Parking: Free spectator parking is available a block away at 1065 E. Hillsdale Blvd, Foster City (BofA/Century Plaza Bldg). See more about parking here.
- Course: This is a 5-km timed trial competition (called a head race). The gently curving course is protected from wind and has no currents so perfect conditions are expected. See course map. There are plenty of places all along the long course to watch the races and to picnic.
- Competitors: The number of entries will be limited to a 250 boat maximum each day. Collegiate and Open crews compete on Saturday and a few Open crews on Sunday as well. Juniors and Masters may only compete in Sunday’s races (i.e., not in Saturday’s races).
- Sanctioned: Sanctioned by USRowing, the organization which selects the US Olympic teams.
- Sponsors: Hosted by by the Peninsula Aquatic Center Junior Crew and Stanford Rowing Center. Sponsored by Foster City Park and Rec, Recology of San Mateo County and United States Rowing Association
- More: Race Details.
- Description: This 15 km time-trial race covers a long, beautiful and challenging marine obstacle course with twisty 17 turns. It is a smaller, less formal race which attracts about 100 enthusiastic rowers.
- Date: Tentatively Sunday, 12/8/19, races start at 9:30 am.
- Spectators: Much of the race is out of sight (see entire map) but the best place to watch the finish is from Stanford’s boathouse at 300 Cardinal Way, Redwood City or the boardwalk and parking lot just to the west of it. The race will be action packed two hours since the racing shells start and finish close together. Good viewing is available from the docks, shoreline, and from Stanford’s balcony. Bring binoculars and a good hat. Show up around the 10:15 am starting time to watch the festivities.
- More Details: Before you go confirm latest details here.
- Sponsor: Hosted by the Bay Area Aquatic Club (BAIC)
- Foster City Special Events Parking near the Central Lagoon
- Foster City Best Things To Do and Maps
- San Mateo Best Things To Do and Map
- Foster City Swimming Beaches and Beaches Map
- Best Foster City Parks and Map
- Top of page or Home page